The Petersham’s mulled wine recipe
Cosy up with a warming mulled wine recipe from The Petersham Restaurant – the ideal festive beverage
to share with friends.
• 1 large orange
• 2 clementines
• 2 lemons
• 1 lime
• 8 cloves
• 1 vanilla pod
• 2 star anises
• 2 cinnamon sticks
• 2 x bottles of Italian red wine
• 150g caster sugar (optional)
• brandy, to taste (optional)
1. Using a peeler, carefully skin the zest very thinly from the oranges and lemons and
reserve. Then, squeeze out the juice and place aside. Next, pierce the cloves into the
2. Pour the red wine, 2 pints of chilled water and the citrus peels and juice into a
large saucepan. Add the clementines with cloves along with the cinnamon sticks,
vanilla pod and star anises. Bring the blend almost to the boil, then reduce the heat
until simmering. Cover the pan and continue to simmer for approximately 1 hour.
If using sugar and/or brandy, stir it in gradually whilst cooking until the mixture is
to your taste.
3. Strain the mulled wine and ladle into mugs ready to serve.